Saturday, March 8, 2008

Kutarna: never pay retail

As the company Moniker comes to life, I’m starting to live up to my family name. My Moniker.

Of course, the name “Kutarna” was given to me by my parents, it wasn’t a name I gave myself, unlike the meaning of the word “moniker”. Well, that statement was actually only true up until I got married five years ago. Then I had a choice to make.

Do I take my husband’s last name? Do I make up a new name? Do I keep my maiden name?

Staring me in the face was the greatest opportunity to redefine myself. An opportunity to throw off all the nightmares of childhood, the pain of being a teenager, the awkwardness of growing up. The opportunity to start fresh with a new life and a new name. Goodbye Kristin Kutarna, hello Kristin Gates.

Wait…who?

That’s when I knew, the name I was given was now the name I was choosing. I was choosing my moniker, the name I give myself.

And so I chose Kristin Kutarna. I didn’t change a thing. Not legally anyway. Sure, I use the name Kristin Kutarna Gates because I like to have a kinship with my new, extended family and a tie to my husband that is obvious to the world.

But really, my last name will always be Kutarna. And Moniker, the company I am helping to bring to life, is the corporate manifestation of my last name.

See, Kutarna’s love to get together and talk about the deals they’ve come across since last meeting each other. From homes to cars, found items to free pens, Kutarna’s love a deal. In fact, we love deals so much we’ve defined the meaning of our last name to be, “never pay retail”.

My best story was one I told to my cousin about a Fendi scarf I found at a thrift store for $18. She trumped my Fendi with a Burberry Scarf for $6.

Damn! So close.

And that’s why I can’t believe I totally missed the best part of Moniker until today.

Moniker means getting luxury quality but never paying retail.

Kutarna’s unite!

No comments: