Friday, February 22, 2008

The web is your catalogue.

That's Moniker's vision.  That's what 'clothing without compromise' should be.

I like this suit Barack Obama's wearing.  And William Shatner as Denny Crane.  That's a good one.  Or maybe I'll try and pull off the Brad Pitt look.  (Victoria, quit laughing at me!)  

It's not just about taking measurements and getting a good fit.  It's about closing the gap between what I want and what I can get, until there is no gap anymore.  All I need to do is 'click', and what I see on the web becomes something real in my closet, made just for me, just my size.

That's what I want.  

We dress up our models and photograph them and build style books and all that stuff and it's great.  It's important -- we need to see a style to understand it.  And a lot of people (I'm one of them) need to be presented with good, clear options.

But surely, in the $300 billion global menswear industry, those options are already on display.  

Why should I be presented with a sub-set, when the whole set is right there, right here, every day presenting me with the things you want?  

Sadly, menswear (maybe the fashion industry in general) is behind the Web 2.0 times.  It's myspace.  Youtube.  We create the content.  

That's why Moniker's 'About' page says "This is your DESIGN STUDIO."  That's the goal.  To give us all the tools to translate the world we see into the clothes we wear.

Of course, the task is huge.  That's why most don't try.  But we're on our way.  Our production house is the clothing industry's global leader in custom clothing.  We have the platform to recreate, not all, but a lot of the menswear world -- on demand.  Every fashion season we're bringing over 600 new fabrics into our inventory.  In the world of the 80/20 rule, we've got the 80 covered.

Of course, the other 20 is the hard part.  :P


No comments: